SEO. Those three letters seem to strike fear or confusion or both into many small business owners heart. Do not fear fellow business owners! We know how intimidating SEO can be (we do it for a living), however we know how ultimately valuable it is as well and so do you! Now that we have established that we have all been fearful of SEO at some time or another, and that we do recognize it’s importance to our success, we wanted to put together a list of 5 simple SEO tips to help you grow your business.
- Use the tools you have available – It is important as a small business owner to mindful of an SEO-motivated content strategy. The Google Keyword Tool is a great resource. To use it, create a Google account, then load the tool and type in search terms that are relevant to your business. Google will suggest terms that customers are searching for—terms you might not have never considered.
- Share your message on Social Media – Stop thinking of Social Media as something the “kids” are doing. The kids are killing it with social media by driving business to their site. Social Media sites are part of a good SEO strategy. Make sure you are sharing your content via your social channels.
- Measure, measure, measure - Google Analytics is free. If you’re not using it then start. This tool will give you an in-depth peek into who is visiting your website, what kind of content they’re like to see, how much time they spend, what they’re clicking on and what they are buying.
- Build partnerships with those that like you - When someone likes your content or comments on a blog, it is not enough to simply say thanks for the follow. Reach out to them, engage them in a conversation. Find out what they are looking for and how you can be better at providing your service or product. Get them involved as an advocate for your company.
- Let customers know where you are – More importantly, let Google know where you are. If you have a physical address, submit your information to Google Maps. Big brother has to know where you are to send people to you.
Don’t be afraid. The hardest part about SEO is just getting started. Dive in, push buttons, mess around and take advantage of the easy free tools out there. If you need help or want to immerse yourself even more, call Persono. We are happy to help!